Texas vs New York: Part Two

2.27.2013


Alright, how about a few more of these lingering oddities that my new home offers up everyday. How nice, right? I definitely miss these "comforts" back in Texas.

  • Here in NY you are not able to put the gas nozzle in your tank, engage the "automatic fill lever" and stand there and look pretty. (No I NEVER get back in my car for fear of the static electricity phenomenon.) No, here in NY you pull up to a pump, get out, and continuously "pump" gas until your tank is full. And don't make the rookie mistake like I did and forget your gloves...youch! Yes this may sound dramatic, but it was definitely something very new to me!
  • New Yorkers love their heat, just like Texans love their air conditioning. If you plan on doing your weekly grocery shopping in your layers, hoodie and down insulated coat...you're not from around here. I made this mistake and came out from Wal-Mart looking like I just stepped out of a steam sauna. Therefore I no longer layer before shopping trips, and I always have a bottle of water in my car because that heat will leave you parched!
  • The produce is ridiculously awful up here. It is not rare to find molded onions, tomatoes, potatoes  and fruit in the for sale bin! No I am not joking. I now know that if I want to cook with produce, (every meal) I must purchase the produce no earlier than three days ahead of time. Otherwise everything goes bad...quick! I have stopped buying produce from Wal-Mart which now extends weekly grocery shopping to three different stores...yes three. Food from Wal-Mart because it is the cheapest. Flavored waters for Joe's lunch and a special sesame dressing from Target. And now produce from Fresh Market. Yes it's crazy and I have made sure that Joe knows this probably won't happen once I have a full time job.
  • The friendliness in people comes out when there is new produce at Wal-Mart. I had a man approach me and tell me that I better hurry over to the broccoli while the good stuff is on top. Why thank you friendly fellow consumer; broccoli wasn't on my list but it sure is now.
  • This morning I woke up to a strange sound that I had never been awoken to before. A large snowplow clearing our front drive for us. It about scared the daylights out of me, but I am thankful for this large plow. It is amazing to me; I woke up with a fresh new four inch layer of white snow and there is not a single flake on any road...anywhere. It still boggles my mind and I am forever grateful for these individuals who plow every single road. I now know why New York has a state tax.
My view this morning.


I haven't posted a culinary creation lately so I thought I would share our most recent success.
This recipe was for "No Peek Beef Tips" from Mommy's Kitchen found here.
Check out her blog for the full recipe and details. this is how ours turned out...delicious!



Guess which side was mine...


the dish was also paired with a loaf of the rosemary garlic bread from this post, but without the mishaps this time!

The dish was given an A+ from Joe, which is always a plus in my book! Enjoy!

From our home to yours,
post signature


- See more at: http://www.notjustahousewife.net/#sthash.6KtCX8J2.dpuf

3 comments:

  1. The whole lots of heat thing sounds like a bad dream to me lol-we experienced this while trying to shop in Chicago! Sweaty!

    Yum to the beef dinna! Tasty!

    Miss you best friend!!!

    -d

    ReplyDelete
  2. The beef dinner looks awesome! Now I"m hungry. lol
    I would love to also invite you to join Totally Tuesday and link up your blog for my first ever link party: http://www.madcapfrenzy.blogspot.com/2013/02/totally-tuesday-1-link-party-time.html

    ReplyDelete