Taking the plunge

4.12.2013

I am 98.9% sure that I am ready and willing to "take the plunge". What plunge is this? Well for the past couple of weeks I have been researching different races to sign up for this summer to try and train and gain miles for my big goal of completing a half marathon.
I have read multiple blogs from women who are taking this challenge and I have also read countless articles on the internet about how to train for your first half marathon. Many people claim that it possible to train in 8-10 weeks... hah this girl? Definitely not.
8-10 weeks is overwhelmingly intimidating and I would end up being able to angst myself out of it.  I have decided to sign up for The Saratoga Palio Melanie O'Donnell Memorial Race on September 15, 2013. And there are butterflies in my stomach as I type this!

This gives me a little over 22 weeks to prepare physically and mentally for 13.1 miles.
Am I fit enough? Not yet, but I think I can manage.
Will my knees hold up? Hmmm maybe a new pair of running shoes will be in my near future?
Am I mentally fit? Definitely NOT...I have an extreme aversion to long distance running because my mind has the ability to always make it much worse than it could ever possibly be.

I plan on using a 20 week half marathon for beginners running plan from Running Through Life.com. You can follow my plan or even print it out for yourself here
This journey will not only help me cross off one of my 26 before 26 list and it will also give me the confidence that I can accomplish something that seems so far out of reach for myself.

Do any of you have tips with running long distance? I have found some great resources about training and 13.1 reasons to run a half marathon found here.
Anyway, I hope to keep you posted on my journey over the next 22 weeks and I can't wait to see where it takes me.


On another note...it's Friday and I'm linking up with Scissors and a Whisk and The Vintage Modern Wife whom I found from another blogging friend! Each week she has a blog post and link up to air out what her highs and lows of the week were.
Scissors and a Whisk: Happies and Crappies Link Up

Happies (My "HIGHlights from this week")

1. I have strongly debated about sharing this topic with my readers for fear I might jinx something, but I'm just too excited...and I guess you will find out eventually. I had an interview at a local hospital for an oncology position...steal my heart! What I loved the most is that it reminded me SO much of the unit I felt torn from when we moved. I felt good, and really liked everything about the interview so I am keeping my fingers crossed! Funny how my post "Why I do what I do" was posted this week as well...someone is looking out!

2. I have turned off the heat and kept the windows open every night this week...amazing!

3. We tried a new meatless meal last night and Joe loved it...I'm very excited about this. I have been "carnivored" out since we have moved up here. 

4. My car hit 150,000 miles after my venture to Boston. Well this could be a crappie but she is still going strong! Nissan fan right here.


Crappies (My not so happy moments from this week.)

1. I'm still pretty low about my favorite kitty at the shelter having to be put down. It's been two weeks but I still get sad, and I miss his sweet meows every Thursday. 
Remember this guy from my Valentines post? Yep my great friend Nutter Butter had to be put down. He had cancer...go figure. I'm drawn to those friends.


2. I am having some serious Southern cravings right about now. How about a mambo taxi margarita paired with some chips and queso, happy hour from Sonic, Chick-fila nuggets, and a large sweet tea from McAlisters! My mouth is watering...

3. This is a backhanded crappie so it fits somewhere in the middle? I have met some of THE sweetest bloggers and I just know we would be stellar friends in real life, but they might as well live in another country they are so far away. Where are all my Albany bloggers at? Petty plea...I know.


I guess I have more Happies than Crappies which is ALWAYS a positive. Have you had some pretty awesome highs or unwanted lows this week? Share with us...air it out. It always helps!

Happy Friday my friends!
post signature


I checked out Jen's blog over here and she talks a lot about her races on this Health and Fitness Friday! Just my luck! :) Hopefully I can keep up with her someday!
My Turn for us

21 comments:

  1. Yay! Good for you! I won't lie, a half marathon is hard, but that feeling when you finish is the most amazing thing ever! I ran/walked my first half marathon in September 2012 and I was definitely under-trained. But, it sounds like you have left yourself plenty of time to train. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any advice? I am super nervous about the whole thing!

      Delete
  2. Hello! Stopping by from Health and Fitness Friday! Happies and Crappies makes me laugh! I totally get what you are saying about blog friends being TOO far away!! Many of my "Best Friends" are through blogs/facebook that I have never met in real life....boo! :-) Its annoying but I guess I would rather have them online then not at all! Sending good luck vibes for your training! Im training for my first 5K right now! Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so very true! Can't wait to read how your first 5K goes!

      Delete
  3. Hey Casey!! SO HAPPY to have you linking up with us!! The fabulous ladies that post every week for H&FF keep me so motivated and so positive! Our athletic abilities range across the board and someone ALWAYS has the perfect advice when you need it. I hope you will stick around!! And I have TONS of advice from my two half marathons from last year so please don't ever hesitate to email me! The training plan you picked looks awesome and it will be such a great transition into longer runs. You will be great!!! But running is 99% mental in my opinion so for the next 22 weeks, surround yourself with lots of positive buddies to keep you motivated. That's my best running advice of all :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen, I will definitely take you up on the e-mail offer!

      Delete
  4. There are so many comments I want to make about this post!
    1. I worked for a running company in Florida that produced road races. Check out their website and hopefully you could gain some great tips for half marathon training www.trackshack.com. I have no doubt in my mind that you'll be ready for that race in 22 weeks.
    2. I also miss happy hour at Sonic!! You don't have sonic in Albany? We have a few in the Philly area but nothing convenient to my house.
    3. Do they also not have Chic Fil A in Albany?! I am so sad for you! :(

    Thanks for the Twitter love and the love on my Friday Fancies post today! Have a fabulous weekend! Hopefully this rain goes away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats a great website! I will continue to reference it!
      Ugh yes...the closest Sonic is about 45 miles away. Definitely not convenient for happy hour

      We tried "Tex-mex" tonight...meh I guess it will have to do!

      Delete
  5. I definitely feel you about the being really far away part! Although, NJ isn't THAT far....

    ReplyDelete
  6. So happythat you signed up for your marathon! (Better you than me! This chick don't run unless something is chasing me... with a knife! Haha) and sorry to hear about your kitty. My furbabies are my world & it always hurts my heart when someone loses one of theirs! Much love, muah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I love it! Those are my bad dreams!

      Delete
  7. Good luck with the training. I'm not a long-distance runner, so no tips (besides good shoes!) I have a friend who did a half-marathon and she took some time to train, too. Keep with it and you'll get it done. And good luck with the interview. I had one this week, too, so maybe it will be a joyful week overall!

    (Side note: I think there's a Sonic in Kingston, which is about 45 minutes south of Albany. Some neat things down that way, so maybe a weekend drive could help with your craving?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will keep my fingers crossed for you as well! And thanks for the Kingston tip...I just might have to make a trip that way!

      Delete
  8. Wait... y'all don't have chick-fil-a?!?

    Yay for happies & crappies! That's so exciting about the interview, I'm sure you're so happy about getting back into it. I'm sorry about Nutter Butter, but at least he got to spend his last while with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. UGH no its awful...and I have yet to find the perfect margarita...Fuzzy's worthy.

      Delete
  9. Congrats on deciding to run a half! I'm about four weeks away from running my first! I'm sure it's different for everyone but a few of the biggest things that helped me were:
    1. Find a running buddy that is at your level... it makes those long runs so much more enjoyable
    2. Realize that you biggest hangups will probably be mental...your body is built to do so much more than you think it can
    3. Go slow! I try to always run at a speed that I can hold up a conversation. I don't feel like the fastest person in the world but it allows me to actually enjoy the runs and slowly but surely my "conversational" pace has gotten faster and faster over the past two months.

    I look forward to hearing how your training is going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erin, love those tips! I'm excited to hear how your race goes and I would love to pick your brain afterwards for some more tips and tricks.

      Delete
  10. Good luck! The longest I've done is 3.5 miles although my husband did a half marathon in November!

    Good luck with your interview! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel! Did you husband enjoy the half marathon? As in he would want to do another? haha

      Delete
  11. Let me know if you want some fun running bloggers to read. I have a few I follow! Mile Posts by Dorothy Beal is a great one if you don't read that one already: http://www.mile-posts.com/

    ReplyDelete