Training Day #1: Q's and A's

4.15.2013

Hope everyone in blogland had an awesome weekend! Ours was pretty low key, which was in every way welcomed. Highlight of the weekend...we FINALLY found some decent Mexican food. Definitely no Joe T Garcia's margaritas, but it temporarily filled the Mexican food void in our Texan hearts.

Today was training day one on my road to 13.1 miles. Haven't heard yet? Lets back you up, and start over here first.

Today I was scheduled to do: 1/2 mile run 1/2 mile walk 1/2 mile run 1/2 mile walk, two miles total.

I began thinking back to the last time I actually ran a "longer" distance besides my typical thirty minutes on the elliptical or treadmill. The the horrid memory came into view. I was running with my roommate around the UTA campus in the dead of a Texas summer...oi. She usually ventured out on runs and I thought I would join in, and would have no trouble keeping up. My soccer running days should still be in there somewhere right? WRONG...The whole deal was that my roommate would take the lead and if I needed her to stop I would just scream her name and we would start a walk. To tell you the truth about .2 miles in I was already huffing and puffing but I figured pshh this tiny thing can't outrun me...wrong again. After about 2 miles of running, my lungs were on fire and my legs were screaming. I yelled for my roommate and she was a good 40 yards ahead of me and did not hear my cries for mercy. I eventually just gave up trying to keep her pace and walked back to our apartment...sad day right there. Ok so my last run was a bust, surely over 1 year later and a few Nike classes under my belt I've got this!

Truth is I did pretty well. I thought I was a hot shot and just blew off the training instructions and ran 1 mile, walked a 1/2 mile and then ran a 1/2 mile. Not too far off but I did experience some knee pain afterwards. My knees are a serious weakness of mine and many of you do know this. At the age of 13, I had four surgeries on my left knee to repair an ACL and remove a lot of scar tissue. I have issues where I produce way too much, way too quickly. Not pretty.
Anywho...I have also dealt with bouts of tendonitis BUT...big BUTT here. I don't want any of these "excuses" to keep me from achieving my goal. That's why I'm turning the floor to you with a few questions that I already need answered!

Warning, Warning, Novice Runner!

Question 1: I know there are many runners out there who have knee issues as well. What things do you do to keep your knees strong? Do you run with a brace or knee stabilizer?

Question 2: What necessities do you bring with you on a run?

-This was highly irritating for me today I had to lug around my keys, phone in an Otterbox, and iPod. All of these I kept in my hands...I realize I cannot do that on race day. What do you do?

Questions 3: Do you use your phone/iPod to track your runs?

Question 4: Do you listen to music during your long runs? If so, what is your favorite playlist?

Question 5: On your long run days (6+ miles) do you bring any "fuel" with you? As in the gel cups, gatorade? If you do, where do you put such things?

Question 6: Favorite running shoe? I tend to have high arches and I think I more-so supinate my foot when I am running.



Those are all for now, and I would love any and all advice
post signature
P.S. Thoughts and prayers for those affected with today's explosions during the Boston Marathon.

4 comments:

  1. My husband swears by "Club Can't Handle Me" to get him pumping on a run. I listen to country music. Makes me feel nostalgic or something.
    When I run I keep a hide-a-key in the backyard so I don't have to run with one. I also carry a knife on my belt. The water thing on a run is difficult. They sell those water belts with small bottles that you wear around your waist. I try not to run so long that I need to stop for water. You could also do different loops that take you by your house. When my husband was marathon training he use to have me meet him at certain mile markers with water and gatorade. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use my iphone and the Map My Run app to track my runs. It hasn't been super accurate but it shows me the map of my run and time / splits etc. I went out and bought a "fuel belt" to store all of my things. It's really just a glorified fanny pack but it holds what I need for my runs. I haven't gotten to the race day part but I think I'm going to leave all of that at home and just depend on water stations. I've also been testing out GUs for the longer runs which I would probably store in my sports bra during an actual race.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm no runner for SURE and can't give advice on 99% of this, but I stick my house key in my sports bra! That way I don't have to lug around a huge keychain.

    I'm so excited to read more about your training, I think it's incredible that you're going to run a half!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Howdy, Love! I'm exploring your fabulous new blog, and could really comment on every post, but I'll choose this one and make it worth your read! First off, hooray to you!! Starting to run in general is enough for celebration, but taking the challenge for a half is entirely rewarding! Before any other advice I could give you, this is the main thing: It's a battle- between your body and your mind. You see, that thing can be really tricky and want to quit several times; but if your legs keep moving, you'll keep going!

    Question 1: I know there are many runners out there who have knee issues as well. What things do you do to keep your knees strong? Do you run with a brace or knee stabilizer?
    - Many knee issues come from having the wrong shoe and too much impact from concrete pavement. You can alleviate most of those pains by getting the right shoe for you and maybe switching up the surface you run on (grass, dirt, etc). If you still have the pains, rest a day or two and try the stabilizer.

    Question 2: What necessities do you bring with you on a run?
    - Endurance and motivation. I leave everything else at home. This is MY time to tune out and just let my body do the talking, while my mind is cranking the imagination wheels!

    -This was highly irritating for me today I had to lug around my keys, phone in an Otterbox, and iPod. All of these I kept in my hands...I realize I cannot do that on race day. What do you do?
    - I leave it ALL at home. I take the house key and put in my tiny short pocket or bra and get going. No need to add any extra weight. If you must take a phone for safety, I stick that in my bra too. On silent :)

    Questions 3: Do you use your phone/iPod to track your runs?
    - You can use MapMyRun to track out the mileage and follow the road you've mapped out. My watch is my only technology used.

    Question 4: Do you listen to music during your long runs? If so, what is your favorite playlist?
    - No music. I realize all of my responses sound like such a drag haha, but running is when my mind is the most active and creative. I let this be my "music" and I'm completely lost in my workout so exhaustion hits me a lot later. I'd say this is when most of ideas and goals get mapped out ready to be executed! I also love the noise of the world. The cars, the rustling of whatever is out there, and saying hello to the other outdoor friends, just therapeutic!

    Question 5: On your long run days (6+ miles) do you bring any "fuel" with you? As in the gel cups, gatorade? If you do, where do you put such things?
    -I don't think you'll need too much fuel until you hit maybe the 9-10+ miles. I have a small palm-sized water bottle that has a hand strap. Or you can bring a little gel and put in your shorts. The main thing is hydrating before the workout and after.

    Question 6: Favorite running shoe? I tend to have high arches and I think I more-so supinate my foot when I am running.
    - I'm very flat-footed and have gone through shoe after shoe, blister after blister! Through all of my trials, Brooks is by far my favorite. The arch support and shock absoption they've created in their GTS models is excellent! Adam is also a huge fan, but he's on the high arch end (maybe that's why we're so perfect for each other!) He goes for the Ghosts, so that might be a good match for you. What I recommend most is going to a running store like Luke's Locker or RunOn. Those are Texas-based retailers, but I'm SURE you've got one like that close to you! Have them watch your gait and determine what type of support your foot needs. Shoes are SO important!! With all the fancy running stuff out there, you cannot skimp on this, take care of those feet!!

    Whew- with all that said, I wish you best in your running adventure all the way from the heat of Texas!
    #sweatisgoodforthesoul

    ReplyDelete