Why I do what I do

4.09.2013

First off, I want to say hello to any new readers and thanks for stopping by! I am excited to expand my blog boundaries and meet some wonderful new ladies. I know some of you may be new to the blogging world [as am I] and I just want to give a shout out to YOU! It's hard being a little blog and finding your corner in the blogsphere. Don't let others opinions and views get you down. They are entitled to their's as much as you are yours. So shake off any negativity and continue ahead, fearlessly!

This past weekend was a blast and included another visit to Boston...I am beginning to call it my second home. I had a sweet friend from home come in for a visit and I got to show her life up in the North East! I think she enjoyed it, but we will get more to that adventure later this week. I met this sweet friend in nursing school in January 2010. As many of you know, nursing school is a hellish roller coaster on this adventure we call life; but it was one that molded and shaped me into who I am today. I grew up a lot in those two years and I'm thankful to have had this girl by my side through it all!
We got to talking about "Why we do what we do" and what occurrences in our lifetime have lead us to the profession of nursing. She is a NICU nurse in one of the leading Children's hospitals in the nation. At Cook Children's she saves the smallest and most important of lives. I admire her strength and dedication to her profession.

This is my story or blurb about Why I do what I do. I knew from a pretty young age that I wanted to do something in the medical field. In nursing school I always had dreams of becoming a pediatric nurse at the amazing Children's Medical Center in Dallas. I loved my pediatric rotation in school and I became close to the pediatric instructor. It was the only job I wanted once I graduated. Well someone else had other big plans for me. I did not become a pediatric nurse but I became an oncology nurse. Wow, can you say polar opposite?

I had landed an interview at the hospital I was currently working at,  but on the oncology unit. That interview could not have come at a better time. At the time my family was trying to digest a new cancer diagnosis in our family and it just felt like it was the right place to be at the time. I wanted to dive into the study of cancer as it was still fairly foreign to me and I thought of no better way than to take the interview and cross my fingers. I remember getting a phone call the night of my interview. The manager started the conversation with, "Well it usually doesn't happen this way, but we want to extend the offer to you today. You won over the hearts of the other nurses and we don't want you to slip by." Floored by the humongous compliment I just received, I politely asked to think over the offer and get back to her that next week. I immediately called my parents and told them the great news. My mom started crying and said it was a total God thing, and I knew she was right. I wanted to be there for my dad who was newly diagnosed and I wanted to know exactly what he needed from a medical perspective. Yes, it may seem selfish but those were my motives back then. I wanted to absorb all the knowledge I could, and little did I know my life would be touched in so many ways by complete strangers who had become my family.

Cancer is a crummy thing...it is a diagnosis that will rock any solid foundation. It is a disease that robs from only the best of people, and preys on the undeserving. There are wonderful success stories and there are many more sad stories from families that have experienced death. But you know what? These people have taught me the meaning of life. They have taught me that you only have your faith and family to hold onto in some pretty dark times. They taught me that you can actually be ready for death, and that it can be a peaceful and welcoming event. You may call me crazy but I loved hospice nursing. Sure, it is a sad time, especially for the family. But you get to watch a person who has been suffering finally letting go of the pain and the burdens. I know many of my close friends have heard the preachings of my love for death and dying nursing. I don't wish cancer on anyone, but I sure hope I get to be around an oncology nurse or family when I pass.
I do what I do for my patients. I sit at the bedside holding a dying patient's hand because they are the ones who have taught me the meaning of life. They have helped me more than I could ever have helped them.

Sorry if this was morbid...but it really is a beautiful thing and I know some of you out there will agree with me. Why this post? Well I am SO ready to get back to the calling of bedside nursing. I want to be there NOW standing on my feet for 12+ hours helping the weak and weary. Not your cup of tea? Well I know I couldn't work a Monday-Friday job 8am-5pm every day and I am thankful that many of you do that, so I don't have to! Hopefully I will be sharing with you the joy of finding a new job soon...I will keep you posted though.



Smile sunshine, you're alive and you're loved!

post signature

linking up with Blue-Eyed Bride to the build them up link up

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful post. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alison, thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  2. I am so very proud of you Casey!! Good luck tomorrow! hugs! Momma

    ReplyDelete
  3. so glad you shared and linked up with us today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really enjoyed the purpose behind the link up, so thank you! :)

      Delete
  4. Wow!! This really gave me a good dose of perspective. Thank you for sharing and for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just found your blog, and this post is beautiful. I am a Junior in nursing school. I'll definitely be reading more from you!

    ReplyDelete