Dear 18 year old me

6.07.2013

Do you remember when you were 18? 
Do you remember thinking that "oh I can't wait until I can do things on my own", "well when I grow up..." "I wish I was older" etc.

I feel like I wished those young years away waiting for the years when I would become entirely independent and could make all decisions on my own. Did anyone else do these things?
I wish I could have temporarily pushed the fast forward button to see what life would bring me, and that I should sit down, shut up, and enjoy the ride!


Dear 18 year old me,

I wish you were able to understand the sacrifices your parents made for you growing up. They are not your enemies and will one day become your best friends. Cherish the time you share with them, as dad always said...you will miss them when they are gone.

Is that harmful relationship you're in doing anyone any good? You will never be able to "save" him and you deserve so much more. In fact, you will marry a man who will surpass all of your wants and needs in a man. Leave that boy behind.

Your sister is pretty cool, she may think you're weird now, but she will love you so much later in life. Give her a break.

Be more outgoing. Say hello to others. Take time to smile and speak to your elders. Don't hide your faith.

Enjoy the debt free life. Paying bills isn't as cool as it looks.

Your parents may embarrass you now. You will live through it and it won't even phase you in years to come.

Love,
Your 24 year old self
Casey Aslan


What things do you wish you could tell your 18 year old self? I admire 18 year olds that I meet who have their head on their shoulder more than I might even now. 

Prom 2007 with my best friends from high school

Right after Joe and I had met. We look like babies!!



And a BIG happy birthday to my sweet friend April Nicole! I hate that I am not with you on your special day! Love you!

8 comments:

  1. So true! It's true what they say...hindsight is always 20/20!

    Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Casey,

    I'm Ginny a new blogger from NC!

    I definitely wished my teenage years away for more freedoms and independence. I look back on it now and wish I had just enjoyed the ride more too.

    I would tell myself screw that really bad boy you dated...you knew he wasn't right for the 2 years you were together and daddy wont like him either. You wont get married until you turn 29 so don't spend so much of your early 20's looking for Mr. Right.

    Who cares about those girls who were really really mean to you in high school. It's over and you will make great genuine friends in your 20's who really care about you and will treat you right.

    And the last one. Stay sober and continue to not drink until you are at least 21. And don't drink and drive. Because one day you will and this will be one of the biggest learning lessons of your adult life but you will come out of it stronger.

    Ginny:)
    www.buttergirldiaries.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. If only we could have read this letter back then! Lord knows we needed a little advice from our future selves. Thankful that we can look back and shake our heads together!
    Daryl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for my shoutout love! I wish we were together right now but we will soon enough :) love you

    ReplyDelete
  5. You & Joe look so cute! And I would tell 18 yo me to enjoy it while she can bc growing up sucks!! Lol

    Badluckjenn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Casey! I nominated you for the Liebster Award! Check it out on my blog at:
    http://www.ourlittlenestblog.com/2013/06/liebster-award.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete
  7. and i DO love you SOOOOOO much Casey Lynn!! <3 you're the best sister I could have ever asked for. I love you! See you in 5 days!!!

    ReplyDelete