Hang on to your marbles!

6.13.2013

ALLLLL right...where the heck has June gone?
Seriously...

The next few weeks and weekends are booked solid with a trip home, trip to NYC, lots of work and then BAM it's the first of July. Thats just wrong.

Can you believe our adventure to the North East happened 6 months ago? I, along with my mom, might be the first to tell you that we didn't know if I'd make it up here for 6 months...man have I surprised us both!
Today I just wanted to share an update with our readers about how we have been holding up (emotionally) after about 6 months of living in the North East. You've seen our adventures, visitors, and  mishaps in the past six months and reflecting back on these things has made me entirely grateful!

 How to survive a move across the country while hanging onto those proverbial marbles

Secure an amazing support system at home.
I am grateful for the 7+ visitors who have already so graciously come and visited us. I can tell you without a doubt, that is what has made this transition so much easier. It's the love we have felt from friends and family wanting to see our new home.

Skype if your best friend.
Skype, FaceTime and Snapchat have literally been great tools to help us feel connected to the faces and voices back home that we miss so much. Without this world of technology I do believe that it would be much, much harder to be away.

Get plugged in.
One of our first tasks we knew had to be conquered when we arrived up here was to find a new church home.
So much go into selecting the perfect home for your faith. We wanted a church with young couples that were in our same walk of life. We wanted a pastor who taught heavily out of the bible, and was able to relay the message in ways that we could carry out the Word on a daily basis outside of church.

I am so happy to say that we have found EXACTLY that! We have met amazing couples from the church who keep us rooted in our faith and serve as accountability partners in life when it is so much easier to just turn away from religion.

Explore, Explore, Explore.
Go out, drive around and just get lost. This was the best way for me to figure out my bearings. We always try to eat at a local restaurant rather than chain and we use YELP to find out what is going on in our home town. Through this method we have found delicious restaurants, visited festivals, chased down food trucks and photographed beautiful scenery.

I can't wait to get out this summer and really explore the Adirondacks along with all of the beautiful lakes that the "locals" rave about.


Be prepared for any and all weather.
Back home I would switch out my wardrobe based on seasons. Hah, let me back up. I would switch out clothes between hot, and warm.
The "out season" would remain under the bed until the weather changed.
Here, I still have my sweaters and long sleeves hanging in the closet. And I will tell you now that I currently have a long sleeve shirt and jeans on for the day.
Crazy! It has gotten "hot" up here, which simply means 80 degrees with about 99% humidity.
Each day is a new climate...so one must always be prepared.


Overall I think we have adjusted much better than we would have ever thought.
I still find myself thinking that oh this is just temporary (which we hope it is), but 5 years is not so temporary so I try not to think of it that way!
We take things and adventures day by day and have loved it so far.
I would honestly recommend a move to any new couple looking to figure out life together.

Question: When exactly do you become a local in your new hometown? I don't feel like we are there yet, but we are sure going to fake it until we make it!



From our home to yours,

5 comments:

  1. I moved to Maryland from VA (big jump, I know) in 2008 and STILL don't feel like a local! I love it here and know my general way around but often still find myself answering questions with "I'm not from here!"

    You're so right about the church thing. I'm so glad we found ours and jumped right in. I can't imagine it would be here without a church family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the new church home is the biggest thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know what I would do if I had to move across the country, or pretty much leave Texas at all! Although, I could really go for some cooler temps... However, congratulations on 'making it' so far! 6 months in is a great accomplishment and is much to be proud of! I just recently posted about my search for a church, and am happy to report we're on the right path as well! So happy for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all of these tips! We never stay in one place long enough for me to get completely settled, which is weird. I always feel like I'm in limbo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful tips. I may be moving in a few months *crossing my fingers* so I might be putting your tips to good use. And I agree this summer is going to fly by and be gone. I'm trying to carve out little times to enjoy it.

    Tracy @ www.sunnydaystarrynight.com

    ReplyDelete