Do What?

8.05.2013

"You're from the South aren't you?"

Dang it!! I was busted again...I thought I was doing so well compared to that one time. But once again the South prevails in my blood.


So take a second and think of how you were to respond to someone if you didn't hear/understand what they said.
Maybe you're the:
"Excuse me?"
"Huh?"
"I'm sorry can you repeat yourself?"
"What?"
"Come again?"

It has been brought to my attention that I say "Do what?" which was frankly unbeknownst to be. I think I assumed I said "what?"

Either way I was caught...as I was leaving work and riding in the elevator with a couple, they asked me a question and I replied with "Do what?" as in "What did you say, I did not hear your properly". You get the picture.

Immediately the man did not repeat himself like my phrase prompted him to, but he responded with "You're from the South aren't you?"

I must have given him one of these

because he then explained to me that his friend who lives in Texas says the same thing, and that it just had to be a Southern thing. Bingo buddy...you hit the nail on the head. Once again BUSTED.

Every time someone finds out that I'm from Texas, they immediately proceed with "Where's your accent?" which will have to be a story for another time. People in the North really do think that Texas is only cowboy boots, horses and larger than life tumble weeds...I always humbly explain that is not ALL that Texas has to offer.

The accent[less] Aslans

Meet one of my favorite bloggers!

11 comments:

  1. That is funny....but must be SUPER regional. I've NEVER heard that phrase!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umm, I say do what too. I don't think I realized it until I read this. Now it all clicks. Hah! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my goodness!I say that too! I had no idea it was a Texas thing...oh geez, haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahahaha I can SO relate to this! I say "do what" all of the time!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha I say this all the time and I live in Texas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha ha! How funny! My husband always says, "You what?" instead of "what?" but I have no idea where he got it from...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can see this whole thing unfolding, including the Charlotte face! Oh how I miss your sweet shocked face and (accent-less) voice! <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. AH I just found your blog from Karla's and am SO happy! First of all, you and your husband might be the most gorgeous couple ever! And secondly, I'm from Syracuse and my boyfriend grew up in the Glens Falls/Saratoga area, about 40 min from Albany! Even though I'm from central new york, I've always been deemed "southern at heart" by my southern friends and would LOVE to live in Texas some day. So glad I found your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so true! I am from Louisiana and I find myself saying both "Do what?" and "Say what?" in these situations. I've been trying to switch over to "I'm sorry..?" because that seems more formal and polite when speaking with strangers who I'm assuming aren't familiar with my normal phrases. LOL

    ReplyDelete