So...if you're thinking of just picking up running out of the blue, here are some tips that you may be interested in reading. From novice to novice. Will I get to drop the novice once I complete my first race? Probably not because I continue to learn things about running and about my abilities every day!
This post will be broken up into a few parts so I don't overwhelm you with knowledge. Today's tips are all about the goods! Since I have jumped back on that out of control bandwagon, I have gone full force. What do I mean by full force? Oh you know a new pair of running shoes, new running socks, new running shirt, shoes laces...you catch my drift? I like to call it motivation!
- Good running shoes: I fell in love with the Adidas Energy Boost. These are a neutral shoe with some great cushion. I spiced mine up with a new pair of green shoelaces!
- Proper running socks: I cannot stress this enough! You WILL get blisters if you run long distance in cotton socks. Cotton does not wick away sweat and causes rubbing and eventual blisters. My favorite are the Asics low cut. they are soft, breathable and have the tabs on the heels to further prevent any pesky blisters
- Running Shirts: Two words DRI FIT. Another reason to stay away from cotton. as mentioned previously cotton is awful at wicking away sweat. And when running long distances...you sweat. Like a you know who in you know where...catch it?
- Head bands: unless you love your locks flapping in your face and then sticking to your face, make sure you have something to hold those tresses back.
- Cliche armband for imusic device: This seriously saved my life...I resisted for the longest time thinking I didn't need to spend the money on something I could carry. Wrong-o. I feel free without having to run with my phone and key in my hand...yes it carries a key too. I snagged a great deal from Groupon so make sure to check out the bargain stops.
|Selfie featuring Dri Fit top, headband and iPhone armband|