Why I'm running 13.1 miles

9.10.2013

I have had many people ask why I am running this half-marathon (5 days people!!)
Besides a genuine "I just wanted to see if I could", theres one huge motivator in my life.
It's a motivator that makes up for the sore knees and hips, blisters, calloused heels and sheer exhaustion.

That motivator is my Dad.

As many of you may know, I'm an oncology nurse, which was an absolute God thing because of what my family was going through at the time. Want more details? Check out "Why I do what I do".

March of 2011, my dad was diagnosed with Stage 4 Follicular Lymphoma. A diagnosis that was explained to my family as "slow growing cancer, incurable, but manageable at times".
WHAM...you're invincible, you're family is invincible until you hear the "C word".


Did you know September happens to be Leukemia and Lymphoma awareness month?
Coincidence? I think not.

Did you know that an average of 1000 people are diagnosed with lymphoma every day?
It doesn't really resonate until your family becomes a statistic.

All lymphomas are represented by the color lime green.
This weekend I am wearing lime green in honor of my Dad and my patients.





I'm running 13.1 miles because:

  • My Dad would do it for me in a heartbeat.
  • There are so many patients of mine who wish they could, but will never have the opportunity to.
  • I want to bring awareness to the incurable disease my Dad battles daily.
  • I want to fight for my Dad.
  • I would rather have sore legs, hips etc. than having to run a day without my Dad.
Little history lesson:
Back in middle school and high school I was a competitive sprinter, nick named "Gazelle", a girl after my Daddy's heart. 
Dad was also a competitive sprinter back in high school and college and just happened to also have a nick name, "Wheels". 
To this day, I have never beat my dad in a sprint...EVER. 
But I want to continue to share that special bond with him, until we are both old and gray with grandchildren (his great-grandchildren).

Wheels is the one who will keep me running this weekend. This one's for you Dad!




Meet one of my favorite bloggers

13 comments:

  1. Very cool. Good luck this weekend! You will rock it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so sweet! And yes family is perfect and invincible until that ugly C words comes around. It's painful but the Lord works through them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very very cool. Wishing you all the best this weekend!!! =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this; you have such a great heart! So excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Girl, this pulled hard at my heart strings! I absolutely love this, and good luck this weekend!! Although, I'm sure you don't need luck ;).

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a special story..good luck this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very neat. As much as I hate running, I still do, because I can. Good luck this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so awesome! Very cool. I know you'll do great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's fantastic, have a blast!! My grandfather went through non Hodgkins lymphoma twice and beat it, and his nurses were some of his favorite and biggest cheerleaders, so thank you for being awesome to cancer patients at work and at home! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so proud of the woman you are!! My prayers and thoughts are with you this weekend and you accomplish this task that you have set for yourself and daddy. We love you oodles and oodles!!
    Momma

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're amazing!!! And I can't wait to hear all about your race!! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Casey, I was so surprised to read your blog today, and learn that you dedicated your run to Wheels; I cried!! I am so blessed and proud of you, for your accomplishments, drive, thoughtfulness and caring of all cancer patients. I may not be running as fast as I once did, but thanks to nurses, doctors, family, friends, and prayers, the wheels are still turning. I cherish the times I could see you play sports and RUN (My Gazelle) I will always be your biggest fan!!! I love and miss you so much every day!! Daddy

    ReplyDelete