Mason Jar Salad Saver

1.21.2014


Many of you remember this photo from my Instagram a couple weeks back. I received a lot of questions about the "how to's" of this pretty amazing, not to mention easy weekday lunch extravaganza. I had read Pinterest promises that these magic mixtures would last an entire week in the fridge…an entire week? This skeptic put it to the test, and I was pleasantly surprised. After reading through a few "recipes" I have come up with my own recipe for this belly pleasing, scale pleasing lunch alternative.

Rule #1 of Mason Jar Salad Saver club…DON'T LET THE LETTUCE TOUCH THE DRESSING! MUST KEEP SEPARATE!
In order to keep lettuce fresh over the course of my 5 day trial no lettuce was ever able to touch the salad dressing to prevent any browning of the lettuce. 


You Will Need:
Pint size Mason Jars
Lettuce/ Greens
I used a mixture of Romaine, Kale and Brussel Sprouts
"Rough Vegetables"
I used carrots, celery and corn
Secondary Vegetables
I used chick peas and mushrooms
Salad Dressing of Choice
I made a ginger shallot dressing recipe to follow

Order of Layers
Starting from the bottom of the mason jar 
//1st: Dressing-desired amount
//2nd: Rough Vegetables-enough to cover layer of dressing
//3rd: Secondary Vegetables-desired amount
//4th: Lettuce/Greens-packed tight to top of mason jar

Seal Mason Jar then place in refrigerator until used. These were so yummy that I was only able to let them stay in the refrigerator for 4 days (before being eaten) but they would have been great for another 2 or 3 days sealed. 

Recipe for Ginger Shallot Dressing:
Juice from 1 lemon
2 shallot buds diced
3 Tbs EVOO
1/4 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp dijon mustard
pinch ground pepper

Mix together and place at bottom of mason jar! Viola! Enjoy!


Looking for a great new way to sponsor your blog? Check out the "connect" tab!
Tune in tomorrow for Cheers not Jeers! You won't want to miss out!

5 comments:

  1. This is so awesome! I definitely need to start doing this. It looks like it will make my meal prep way easier! :)

    That dressing sounds delicious too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just GENIUS! I'm definitely going to have to try this out next week! Thanks for sharing, sweet girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always wondered how long these would last... thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks yummy! But how do you eat it? Like it looks like you'd have to eat just lettuce, then veggies, then other veggies, then the dressing. Do you have to pour it into another bowl?

    ReplyDelete