I am woman hear me ROAR

2.20.2014

So I want to share with your (as much as I can) about a mishap that happened at work that really, really hit me to the core. No, this is not about one of my patients (HIPPA prevents me from any and ALL of that), but one where my ego, feelings and motivation got stomped on repeatedly and I was that girl sobbing at work. Ugh looking back I wish I wouldn't have wasted those tears on an unfortunate excuse for a man, but I was hurt.

Let me back up a smidge. I don't often talk about work on the blog because work has it's own place and due to privacy policies, as well as social media policies in the healthcare work place, it just isn't anything that needs to come up that often.

I am not one to compare who has the worst life, but when someone tells you they are currently in nursing school…their life sucks more than yours. Sorry, but I believe it's true. Unless you're in law school, I've heard pretty brutal stories from that as well.
I honestly didn't know nursing school would be the literal death of my social life, and sleep life along with stress induced alopecia (look it up) and more breakdowns than I'd like to admit.
But you know what? I worked my tail off for my degree and I couldn't be more proud.
I put in countless sleepless nights for those two little letters behind my name, RN.

So what exactly does a day in the life of a RN include?
At the beginning of a 12 hour shift I receive report from the off going night nurse and begin to assess my 4-5 patients, pass medications, prep for procedures, advocate for patient's needs as a liaison between patient's and medical staff.
During a 12 hour shift I am required to check on each one of my patients at least once an hour, where I assess all health functions, and let me be the first to tell you, it's always more often than that.
To say I don't know whats going on with the health of my patient would not only be a false statement but one of arrogance and belittling assumptions.


When people think of a nurse, they tend to think females.
When people think of a doctor, the tend to think males.
A nurse who receives their bachelors in nursing attends school for 4 years
A doctor who received their "MD" may attend school for 10+ years

Does anyone see where this is going?
While I may have less schooling than that of a MD and while I may be a female, I am no less of a human being than anyone else who works at the hospital.
While that MD is continuing those 6 additional years of school, those are 6 years I have spent at the bedside assessing my patients for 12+ hours each day.
Did you know that's 12,500 more hours than a MD will get to spend at the bedside over the course of those 6 years?



So to tell me that I'm
               "just a nurse who isn't prepared with those assessment qualifications"
                and that
               "I  (MD) have probably been doing this long before you were born",
is just down right flagrant, arrogant and most of all horridly unprofessional.

I was broken down by a person's words which my momma always taught me shouldn't hurt me.
As an advocate of people's health you can often step on toes, which doesn't bother me in the slightest. It is my job to save lives I will be an annoying serial phone caller if the situation calls for it.
But when you bring my gender, age and profession into the mix you're about to bring out the monster inside of me.

Now I know this 110% vague but I had to let it out and I apologize if you don't follow. It's really as much detail I can offer.
Moral of the story? Stand up for what you believe in and what your gut tells you. Don't let anyone look down on you, but rise to the occasion and prove to them you have what it takes.
And let me tell you….thats exactly what I did!

Girl power! Hear me ROAR!


Disclaimer: This is in no way a reflection of what I think of doctors as a whole. 
I have brilliant coworkers and doctors in my family and I love you all! 
Just discouraged by lack of politically correct actions. 

Check out my newest adventure

11 comments:

  1. I'm sorry that some ass made you cry! I saw a little bit of this when I worked as a tech at St. Peter's and interacted with doctors and nurses, so I totally know what you're talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :( :( :( oh friend, people can be so harsh with their words i'm so sorry you had to walk through that.
    and you know what, most of the time we can brush it off, but there will always be a time when it stings.
    it's ok to be upset about it.
    whata jerk!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You go girl! My mom has talked about this so many times, and you're right. YOU know the patient much more because YOU spend the time regularly with them checking on them and talking to them. YOU'RE the one who will notice if something isn't right. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have some serious respect for nurses after some angels saved my life a few years ago. I could never, ever do everything y'all do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry. To be honest, doctors are nothing without their nurses holding down the fort. When my mom was pregnant with my little brother, she was in the hospital for three weeks, and she is still friends with her nurse to this day! Feel better!

    xo, Hima
    Hima Hearts

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh! I'm so sorry you had to deal with this, and the fact that this happened at all makes me want to punch someone in the face! Seriously though, that's just awful! I'm glad you stood your ground and allowed yourself to be upset, because schooling, no matter how hard or how long it takes, is just that: HARD! You have every right to be proud of where you are today and that you're advocating for people that can't advocate for themselves. Kudos to you, Casey, and keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I work in a hospital too and I've been broken down by words as well. I'm not clinical, I'm clerical... but still. The way I see it, nurses, doctors, registration clerks, even housekeeping... we're all working at the same place which means we're CO-workers. No one is better than anyone else or smarter than anyone else... we just know different things - we should be working TOGETHER so that we can all do our best as a WHOLE! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You go girl! :) No, but seriously, way to go for not taking him out right there! I have major issues when someone does that to me, as happened recently, and I'm sorry but they need to account for that. It's terrible but the world is much like a constant revolving high school drama, there will always be that bully/moron/show off/loud mouth/arrogant you-know-what that needs to be put in their place... we just have to learn how to tactfully explain their ignorance!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're so right to stand up for that!
    I definitely respect nurses so much for putting up with my whinging when I was in hospital! And while the doctor is important and has his role, it's the nurses who always made me feel better... it's a system, everybody is important but different - no way could doctors work without support!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Girl, I work with all men. Not in a hospital, not even close, but the part that's been the hardest to me is the way the few women in construction treat one another... I can't believe how rude and bitter and harsh women can be to one another. I thought being the fewer and further between gender in the industry would make us band together... OH NO.

    Also, in all of my dad's sickness and hospital time and such the nurses have been the people who made a difference for him AND for us as his family. The moments we remember the most are the ones where we are enjoying time with the sweet women who are caring not only for his body but for our hearts and souls. You're one of them, I know.

    ReplyDelete