Official Mom Status

10.22.2014

NO I'M NOT PREGNANT…but yes you should continue to read.

As I was driving home from work the other night, perusing through the lack of decent radio stations the lovely Capital District has to offer (not), there was a song on in the background which I recognized the chorus from previous channel surfing. As I turned up the song and listened to the lyrics, I was horrified with the words I was hearing.
I eat my dinner in my bathtub
Then I go to sex clubs
Watching freaky people getting it on
It doesn't make me nervous
If anything I'm restless
Yeah I've been around and I've seen it all

This catchy tune was one that proliferates the ears of thousands of impressionable kids/teens/adults/HUMANS (psssst that's you) daily.
What is it teaching them us?
This message sounds to me like these things are everyday ordinary OK things...

  • I get home, I got the munchies
    Binge on all my Twinkies
    Throw up in the tub, then I go to sleep
    And I drank up all my money
    Tasted kind of lonely

Alright, alright I'm officially mom status with that last comment, but seriously.
People are so quick to hate on my generation (myself included), but I can't help but think its from the pollution which has seeped into our minds across these few short decades. We are learning that emotions are not meant to be felt, but to be suppressed with drugs or sex.
Problems are no longer things we work through, but now accept as our fate.

  • Pick up daddies at the playground
    How I spend my day time
    Loosen up the frown, make them feel alive
    I make it fast and greasy
    I know my way too easy

And these new generations? Sheesh do we have any hope for them at all?
No I'm not prude, uptight, a parent, or one of those "radical religious folk"; I'm an individual with a platform who simply wants to express concern.
I picture my 4 and 5 year old Sunday school kiddos listening to music trash like this and it makes me sad.
Their innocence is taken away from them far too quickly and songs like this only encourage more of it.
  • Staying in my play pretend
    Where the fun ain't got no end
    Oh, can't go home alone again
    Need someone to numb the pain
    Oh, staying in my play pretend
    Where the fun ain't got no end
    Oh oh can't go home alone again
    Need someone to numb the pain

"Sure Casey, just change the station…what's so hard about that?"
You're right… BUT (and you know I always have a big one)
Why can't we say no to such vulgar songs on public radio which could easily be played on the school bus ride home to my 4 and 5 year old Sunday school kiddos?

Am I coming out of left field here? I would love to hear your thoughts! Had you heard this song before? Parts of this song are seriously disgusting and don't you think that should say a lot coming from a 25 year old from "that" generation. Think about it.


post signature

8 comments:

  1. I don't know that particular song, but just reading the lyrics makes me want to poke my eyes out! Seriously. You're completely on point here, and I'm right there with you! So, you're definitely not alone in this, coming from a fellow 25 (and 11 days) year old! It's ludicrous. Someone make it stop!

    Brianna
    xobriannaleigh.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness you are so right. I love your writing girl, I wish more people would find Jesus and not take the road of drugs/sex/alcohol to "numb" themselves!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ... and this is why I listen to Christian radio!! Songs like the one you posted are disgusting!! And nope I've never heard it - fairly certain I'd change the channel right away! But I worry about this too for my unborn - so you aren't the only one!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. And then we proceeded to hear this song 3 more times on the radio yesterday. Disgusting!
    But love this post and your sass! 100% agree with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree. Some songs make me feel gross just listening to them. It's no wonder our generations have become so desensitized.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That song sounds disturbing! I love a catchy tune as much as the next lady, but where are all the good lyrics?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ugh, this song. I've heard it and it took a few times before I caught on the lyrics, and now it's changed any time it comes on. The same thing with that stupid Rude song that's out, which essentially says, "I asked if I could marry your daughter and you said no, but I'm going to marry her anyway." Like... what a serious lack of respect. *shakes my head* It's crazy what is on the radio these days.

    ReplyDelete