Roots

10.06.2014

October 2012

October 2014

The two women in those pictures may have a lot of things in common, but are also quite different.
These two pictures were taken almost exactly two years apart. The same tree in the same neighborhood with the same goofy pose.

See anything different in the two pictures?

How about that the tree two years ago was much more fragile, almost juvenile. Yellow in color, showcasing its timid beauty, unaware of what it can eventually become.

The tree you see circa 2014?
The branches are wider, appears stronger and is boasting a confident hue of golden orange.
Can you feel the resemblance being shoved thrown your way?

That woman in the picture has also changed; matured, grown more confident in her branches.

October 2012:
Joe (fiancé at the time ) and I had just received the news that our lives were about to be turned upside down. Joe had been offered his dream job in a tiny town in upstate New York.
We knew it was an offer out soon to be family couldn't turn down.
I still reflect on that month a lot.
We were only weeks away from our wedding, making huge life changing decisions all while I seemed to keep my cool. Something I was never good at.
I still believe it was foreshadowing of our auspicious future.

When we arrived to Albany, the plan was to stay for less than 48 hours and our mission was to find the place we would be calling "home" for our next foreseeable future. Talk about pressure.
All we had was good old google search, a gps and a far too light jacket.

I remember sitting in the hotel room and together, Joe and I had made the decision on an apartment and signed a two year lease. Two years?!?! What a huge commitment for a place I had only seen once.
Talk about some faith, or the fact we were running on fumes because the wedding was all that was consuming the free space of our minds.

October 2014
As you may know from hanging around these parts, Joe and I love our new "home" which I still refer to as new, or "we just moved up here".
But what I love even more is the person I've become, the marriage Joe and I have solidified, and the roots we have planted, and the story that we are growing.

It's no surprise that we eventually plan to call Texas home again, but right now?
These two years have taught priceless lessons and we have planted roots that I want to dig deeper…for now.
post signature

10 comments:

  1. I'm in love with this. You are spot on here and make me so excited to take a picture outside by one of my trees so that in two years I can be amazed by both the growth of the tree and me. You are blooming so sweetly and beautifully and wonderfully. It's so evident. SO. EVIDENT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this post. :) I'm so glad that you are able to learn and grow from you time there, as well as build a stronger marriage. Sometimes I get a little jealous that you had the opportunity to go somewhere new and start things over just the two of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome concept. I'm glad you like it here. I think it's a pretty cool place to live, though having grown up here I may be a bit bias.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "the story that we are growing"...I love that sentence! And this post is so sweet and so indicative of God's glory worked in circumstances unforeseen to ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have seen such a transformation in you Casey, just through your blog/Instagram/other social media whathaveyou. You are definitely more strong and confident and are growing by leaps and bounds! I pray that you continue to grow not only in yourself but in your marriage and in Albany. And I pray that one day, y'all will definitely make it back down here to Texas :).

    Brianna
    xobriannaleigh.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a great post and still remember last fall as your first and sending you a fall themed Cara Box. It's so great to look back and see how far we have come from just a few years ago. And it is so great you got to start your marriage so strong, just knowing each other in this new place. Now, where can I pick up and move to so that I can really transform myself ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this! Love the idea of taking a picture outside your home year and year again to see the changes. How beautiful that you've adapted so well to your new home and found new ways to grow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE the connection you made here - you are so sweet and I'm glad you have come to love and grow in NY
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is beautiful, Casey. Your confidence and growth just shine in this post. I'm so amazed at how you took such a huge relocation and turned it into an opportunity for growth.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Casey! I have a quick question for you and was wondering if you could email me when you have a free moment? I can be reached at hvsj12 AT gmail DOT com :-) Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete